Thursday, January 27, 2011

Chicken With Rice

Last night we made a simple dinner...chicken with rice (and mushrooms). But, oh...how I wish we had chicken soup with rice, if only so I could post this:


But alas, soup wasn't in the cards, and instead we settled for roasted chicken parts, sauteed mushrooms, broth-cooked rice and a little mushroom gravy. So, really...it wasn't settling at all.

We had a bunch of bone-in chicken parts form our meat CSA to use up, and decided to roast them. It couldn't have been easier. Set the oven for 425 and prep your chicken. We poured a bit of olive oil on the bottom of the pan, but sometimes I use coconut oil - really, whatever is on hand. Then, I added a bit of salt, pepper, oregano, thyme and a few lemon wedges, and roasted them, breast side down for 15 minutes.

After flipping them, I cooked them another 15 minutes, re-seasoned and flipped them again, cooking another 15-20 minutes. Since they were smaller pieces, they cooked through perfectly, but make sure to check that the juices run clear when you slice into the meat and there is no pink.

Crispy skin and juicy meat!

For the mushrooms, I just sauteed them in a tablespoon of olive oil and added some salt and pepper.


I then saved some of the mushrooms to make a gravy. I added a couple tablespoons of flour, some drippings/oil from the pan of chicken, and some wine. I had hoped to add some white wine, but only had some Pinot on hand. So, in it went.

mmm...gravy!
Yes, the plate lacks some green, and I totally own up to that, but it was a chilly night (we woke up to yet another snow storm!!) so I cut myself some slack.


And, the best part is - leftovers! Tonight I'll be using the leftover rice to make a Mexican style rice and beans, while the leftover chicken will get shredded and star in some chicken nachos. And I'll make sure to have extra greens! 

No comments:

Post a Comment