Friday, January 21, 2011

Simply Delicious


It's been a long week.

I think we're on our 5th or 6th storm of 2011. I'm not quite sure, as they tend to blur together after a while...a big mess of ice and snow and sleet.

I do know that I'm done with shoveling snow... that my upper arms bear the mark of somebody intimately familiar with the shovel-scoop-toss that accompanies these New England storms.

My son has only had 1.5 days of school this week. I may have even turned to Dr. Google, and am 96% certain that I suffer from an actual case of Cabin Fever.

And so, tonight, after yet another snow day, I needed something simple. Simple and delicious. Only two requirements, and I think I managed to come out on top. At least one thing is in my favor this week.

There really isn't much to this meal, and I even wondered for a second why I should even devote a blog post to it. However, in the end, I came to the realization that they reason is in the simplicity of it all. Not only is this meal easy to prepare. satisfying and delicious. There are very few ingredients and it takes very little "hands on" time as well.

Ingredients: 
-a bag of small, fingerling potatoes
-one large onion, quartered
-2 peppers, sliced
-turkey (or pork) kielbasa
-herbs (I went with thyme and oregano)

Preparation:
Preheat the oven to 350*

Mix together the potatoes and onions with some olive oil to coat. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on them and set them in the oven for 15 minutes.


After 15 minutes, add the peppers.

I went with a green and a yellow
After mixing in the peppers, cook for an additional 20 minutes, stirring once midway. Then add the kielbasa. I like to slice mine up to the same size of the potatoes. Stir it all up again and add your herbs, about a teaspoon of each. Pop it back into the oven for another 10-15 minutes.


Check the potatoes to ensure it's done. Piercing with a fork is the easiest way to do so.

nom.
We paired this with a simple salad and it really was the perfect meal to end this week with. Hope you all stayed warm and well-fed, wherever you are!

2 comments:

  1. That looks yummie! And just what one needs on a cold day to keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. I make a variation of this with apple, pear, and onion instead of potato, peppers, and onion. . . . It's my "I'm too tired to actually cook" go-to meal. Will have to try it this way next time.

    ReplyDelete