Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Low Key

Monday night was a simple affair this week, both in terms of potluck and the food that we ate. It looked like it was going to be another missed week, with a couple families still under the weather, but fortunately, at the last minute a few families got it together and we managed to eat our shared meal.

With only a few families, the atmosphere was a bit more low key than usual and the food seemed to follow suit. However, don't let the phrase "low key" fool you - it was still absolutely delicious. There was roasted chicken, brown rice, salad, hummus & veggies and baby zucchini.

And there may have even been salted chocolate cookies for dessert.

In continuing with my theme (or mantra, really...) of "spring is almost here, spring is almost here," I whipped up some garlicky baby squash. The squash was too cut to pass up and the way I prepared them couldn't have been easier.



I started by heating up a couple of smashed cloves of garlic in a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.



Once the oil had hung out with the garlic, I added the baby zucchinis (which I had sliced in half, lengthwise).


A sprinkle of salt, pepper, and oregano got added to the zucchini and I let them cook in the oil for a moment, before transferring them to a 425* oven. I roasted them for less than ten minutes, checking on them occasionally to see how they were doing. Once they were lightly browned, I took them out.

I have to say that while the garlic infusion was perfect, the actual baby zucchinis lacked substantial flavor...but I guess that's what you get when you force the fruits of a season that's just not quite here yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment