Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Tale of Two Potatoes



Last night's potluck dwindled down as families checked out for a variety of reasons...illness, guests, travel. So, instead of giving up all together, Hannah & Sina decided to come over, and we had a mini potluck of two mamas and two kids. 

Two seemed to be the magic number of the night, as I had already started on my potluck dish(es) for the night, and decided to go through with them. It was a duo of potatoes...one dish made with good old regular Idaho potatoes, and the other made with delicious sweet potatoes. 

I quartered the Idaho 'taters and tossed them in salted water and boiled them for a half an hour or so. 



Once drained, I added copious amounts of butter, salt and milk, used my hand blender and...voila...simple mashed potatoes. (Which I neglected to take a picture of...oops).

For the sweet potatoes, I went another route. I have been all about curry lately. I am pretty certain I could eat yellow curry with pineapples and veggies pretty much all day long. I figured what better way to spice up the sweet potatoes then with a little curry. I also got to use one of my favorite kitchen gadgets for this one, so that didn't hurt either. 

I grabbed my trusty mandoline and sliced 1/4" thick rounds of sweet potato (leaving the skin on). In retrospect, I would probably slice them a bit thinner next time for a "chippier" consistency (although Hannah said she preferred the chewier texture of the thicker chips). 



I tossed the slices into a bag with a tablespoon of olive oil, a few pinches of salt, and a tablespoon of curry powder. Shake it up a bit and then place in a single layer on a foil lined baking pan. 



I cooked them at 400* for around 40 minutes, flipping them halfway through. Of course, I didn't get a final picture of these either, but I probably wouldn't have had a chance, as both the mamas and kids gobbled them up in record time. These are definitely going to work their way into the snack rotation in our house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment