Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Caketastic

While there are aspects to this Winter --> Spring season that I can do without, the fact that there are two birthdays celebrated in our household within 2 weeks of each other makes it a little easier. We celebrated Marc's birthday yesterday, and since he had gone to great lengths to make me a homemade cake, I decided to return the favor.

The only direction I got was that he wanted a chocolate cake, but I wasn't set on just any chocolate cake. Oh no. I looked everywhere until I settled on what can only be described as the most decadently amazing cake ever. It was truly caketastic.

I snagged the recipe from Smitten Kitchen, and you can get all the details there. This cake is pretty much the epitome of a grown up Hostess Cupcake. It wasn't the simplest cake I've ever made, but it was well worth the effort, for sure.


I will say...there was a lot of chocolate happening in this cake. I used Godiva for all the different parts, chopping up a bar of semi-sweet to go into the actual cake batter. I didn't follow any of the varied directions on Smitten Kitchen's post about building the cake and went with my own version. I layered both cakes (only one was cooked in a 10" pan, the other, sadly, was relegated to a 9" springform pan...but you work with what you've got).  I spread the 7-minute frosting (Yum, btw) in between the layers before adding ganache.

Moist cake, creamy filling...what more could you ask for?
Ah, yes. Chocolate ganache coating. You could ask for that.

Suffice it to say, the cake was a hit with everyone, including the birthday boy. It was rich, decadent, and certainly fit for a celebration.

All the kids helped blow out the candles

Batches upon batches of wings preceded the cake (we made teriyaki glazed ones, and there were also hot wings and spiced chutney wings in attendance) as well as roasted potatoes, lentil soup & salad. The meal was delicious, our house (we hosted!) was full, and by the end of the night, so were our bellies.

Hmm...fingers crossed it's somebody else's birthday next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment