Friday, April 15, 2011

Corn Waffles

Since I'll be living in the land of the unleavened for the next week or so, I figured I'd whip up a blog post full of chametz. However, I ended up cooking something that wasn't super "chametzy" in the end after all. There are various schools of thought, especially amongst Sephardic and Ashkenazic Jews as to what constitutes chametz (corn? beans? etc...). So...perhaps in some Sephardi household across the globe, somebody might even make this meal during Passover, while I'm eating my tenth helping of matzah pizza.

A few weeks ago, a friend posted on Facebook that she whipped up some banana bread batter, but instead of baking it in a loaf pan, decided to cook it in a waffle iron. I thought that it was an ingenious idea, and attempted to make a savory version. This couldn't have been simpler, yet it ended up being something that I see quickly becoming a staple in our kitchen.

Start with a box of Jiffy mix. I'm certain you can make this entire meal even further from scratch with corn meal, baking powder/soda, salt, etc... but since this started as an experiment, I didn't go that far this time.

 

All I did was prepare the mix as directed (for the muffins. I noticed that they did have a waffle recipe on the side, but I didn't use that) and then added in some shredded cheddar cheese as well, about a half a cup. I also tossed in about a cup of frozen corn. I will definitely be making this again during fresh corn season. yum.

Super kid friendly. Definitely have them mix the batter up while the waffle iron heats up

I brushed a little oil on the waffle iron, poured the batter in and let it go (I had it set at around a "7"). One batch of batter makes 4 waffle squares. I served ours with black beans, salsa, avocado and some grape tomatoes. Every single waffle was gobbled up without hesitation. This would also be an awesome brunch item, for sure.


The next week is looking like a super hectic one, full of family, food and fun, but I'll do my best to pop in with some Passover sights and recipes.

3 comments:

  1. my kids have been making savory waffles recently: waffle recipe but adding in some cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are definitely going to try this one. I think my 2 year old will go crazy for it!


    ericainthecity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete