Monday, December 13, 2010

Disney Dinners

You may have noticed a slight lapse in blog posts over the last week or so. The main reason was because we were away on a family trip down in Florida and our access to internet was spotty. The other reason is that there was little in the way of food for me to write about.

Yes, I could have written post after post about how sad I was that we were missing potluck and our friends and *good* food, but nobody really wants to hear me whine, do they?

Instead, I'll apologize for the lack of posts and just get on with the show. As part of our vacation, we spent three days at Disney World. I had mixed feelings about going...most having to do with buying in to the mega marketing corporation that is Disney, but at the same time I had those nostalgic feelings of whimsy and magic that only Disney can produce. 

The little one, enjoying an ice cream Mickey head.
We had gotten a Disney meal plan as part of our vacation package, and while it was a little stifling (you only got a certain number of certain types of meals each day), overall it worked out well for us. 

The actual meals we ate ranged from incredibly delicious to non appetizing. But, just like in any place, there are bound to be places that wow you, while others don't even merit a second chance. I wasn't expecting the "quick service" meals to b dazzling, and they lived up to those expectations. They were fine and fueled us sufficiently to continue on our busy day of going on rides and viewing parades.

I'll spare you the details of the less than satisfying places, and instead focus on what we did like. Our second night there we ventured into Epcot, a favorite park of ours, and dined at La Hacienda de San Angel...a Mexican themed restaurant right on the water. 

After a day of less than stellar food (lunch was a bland burger and greasy fries), I was more than happy to dine on delicious tilapia covered with fresh queso, over roasted vegetables. 
I need a new camera phone. Clearly. 

The fish was cooked perfectly and all the flavors melded together for an enjoyable meal. This was definitely my favorite meal I ate while at Disney. I was almost too stuffed for dessert. Almost.

Mmm...churros & dulce de leche ice cream

The next night we floundered around a bit for a place to eat, until finally ending up at Wolfgang Puck's restaurant in Downtown Disney. I was excited to eat there, as I've always admired him and his food. There was an array of food to choose from, and while I really wanted to try some pizza, I settled upon the macadamia nut encrusted chicken.
It came along with some red papaya marmalade
The chicken was incredibly tender and juicy, but it was also super salty. I was actually shocked at how salty it was, and wondered if somebody had a little slip of the wrist while cooking. Thankfully the papaya marmalade helped mellow out the saltiness and I enjoyed the meal for the most part.

And now? Now we're back home and I'm preparing to gear up for a night of fun with friends and food. 

It's Monday and there's potluck to cook for. (I'm thinking of going with tortilla soup...)

No comments:

Post a Comment