Monday, December 27, 2010

Easy as 1...2...3 (...4...5!)

A couple of years ago I got into baking homemade bread. After stumbling across this book

...I found myself trying all sorts of new and delicious types of artisan bread. Bread in 5 minutes a day? I'm sold! The process really is as quick and easy as the book title purports and while I tend to take a break during the warmer months, once winter hits we're back in the kitchen mixing together some dough.

This past weekend seemed like a great time to whip up a batch, so I enlisted my favorite sous-chef and we went to work. Okay, I'll be honest...he went to work. That's how easy the basic artisan bread is.
All the ingredients to the "Master Recipe" for the basic boule.
Yup, that's it. Four ingredients: flour, lukewarm water, salt & yeast. I halved the actual recipe, so I only ended up with enough dough to make 2 large loaves. The actual recipe can yield up to 4-5 loaves.


Start with 1.5 cups of lukewarm water. We dump it right into our Kitchen Aid. The best part of this recipe? No kneading!!

In goes the yeast and then salt
Add 3/4 of a tablespoon of yeast and 3/4 of a tablespoon of salt to the lukewarm water. I don't have a "3/4 tablespoon," so I always just eyeball it whenever I halve the recipe, and so far it hasn't steered me wrong.

Mix the water, yeast & salt all together
We use a whisk to mix the 1st three ingredients together to make sure that the yeast fully dissolves. Then...it's flour time!


We pre-measure the flour into a bowl for easy pouring. Add 3.25 cups of white flour into the Kitchen Aid (make sure it's fitted with a dough hook!).

 Work the dough until all the flour is mixed in. It will look wet and lumpy, but that's fine - promise!
Bread dough
 Now you...wait. I just leave the dough in the Kitchen Aid bowl, cover it loosely (I have a large plastic top that fits well) and allow it to rise for 2-3 hours.

Risen!
After the initial rise you have a few options. You can fridge it (it lasts about a week in the fridge) or work with it right away. I always fridge it, since it's easier to work with after it's been chilled.

When you're ready for some bread, take a grapefruit size chunk from the dough (I just tear it off with a floured hand) and place it on a floured pizza peel. Trying not to knead it too much, shape it a bit until it's round and somewhat smooth.


Then let it sit out for 40 minutes.

Preheat your oven to 450* with a pizza stone set inside. You should let the pizza stone get really hot, sitting in the oven for at least 20 minutes at 450*.  When I put my pizza stone in to preheat, I also put in a broiling pan from my toaster.

Once the bread has rested for 40 minutes, cut a few lines into it to allow air to escape. We usually just do three straight lines, but you can get fancy and try to carve an initial or a smiley face. Then, slide the dough onto the prepared pizza stone. Before closing the oven, add a cup of water into the broiling pan. The steam helps with some part of the cooking, but I've never figured out exactly what.

Bake for 1/2 and hour and...


Fresh bread! Your kitchen will smell phenomenal, you'll be surprised at how little work you actually did (even less if you have a helper!) and you'll be able to sit down and enjoy a piece of hot, delicious bread. We go simple with our fresh bread, either using it to sop up soup or spread just a little bit of butter on it.

The actual book has a bunch of other fabulous bread recipes to tackle once you've mastered the "Master Recipe." We've tried a few and have been happy with all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment