Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Two Birds...One Soup (aka Soup-a-Long: Week #4)

In addition to missing potluck while we were away, I also actually missed cooking! Sure it was nice having others cook for me, but there was some small part of me that itched to get back into the kitchen and play around with food. 

Thankfully, I was able to stretch those cooking muscles yesterday as I prepared for potluck. Not only was I making a meal to share with my friends, but I also decided to jump back into the soup-a-long since I missed last week. 

One great thing about making soup for potluck is that you know there's always going to be enough. Soup is one of those magical dishes that always seems to have an extra bowl left. Also, making this one on a Monday ensured just enough extra for lunch for me today - win/win! 

This week's soup happens to be one of my favorites, yet one that I've never actually made myself before: Tortilla Soup! 
Now that I've made it, I can reassure you that it will quickly become a staple in this house. It was easy, delicious and a big hit with kids and adults alike.

Most of the ingredients ready to go!
This week's soup comes courtesy of my friend Jess's mom. My own comments are in green!:
SPICY TORTILLA SOUP 



1 large onion, coarsely chopped 
2 tablespoons vegetable oil 
4 corn tortillas, coarsely chopped 
6 cloves garlic, minced 
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro 
2 (10 3/4-ounce) cans tomato puree (I used one large 28oz can)
2 quarts chicken broth 
1 Tablespoon ground cumin 
2 teaspoons chili powder 
2 bay leaves 
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (You know me and my fear of spice, so I omitted this, but added a bit more chili powder, cumin & some salt)
3 corn tortillas 
2 skinned and boned chicken breast halves, cut in 
strips 
1 avocado, peeled, seeded and cubed 
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese 
                  ***
Position knife blade in food processor bowl; add 
chopped onion, and process until smooth. Measure 1 
cup onion puree, and set aside; reserve any remaining 
puree for another use. (I always just use all of it) (I'm not sure what it was, but my onion just did not puree all the way. I kept using a spatula to get it close to the blade and re-pulsing it and... nada. I used it anyway and I don't think it made a difference...it just wasn't a "puree")
Heat 3 tablespoons vegetable oil in a Dutch oven over 
medium heat; cook 4 chopped tortillas, garlic,and 
cilantro until tortillas are soft.
This smelled pretty fantastic.

Add onion puree, and next 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Remove and 
discard bay leaves. (This soup couldn't have been easier if it tried)
Cut 3 corn tortillas into thin strips. Pour oil to 
depth on 1 inch into a large heavy skillet. Fry 
strips in hot oil until browned.
I really should have made more of these. So tasty to snack on.
          Remove tortillas and all but 1/2 tablespoon oil; drain tortillas on
paper towels and set aside. Add chicken to skillet 
and cook until done (about 10 minutes). (I actually cut the chicken into strips and added it to the soup once it boiled - before i turned it down to a simmer. That way there's less oil involved and the chicken was cooked perfectly, coming out juicy and flavorful.)
Spoon soup into bowls--add chicken, cheese and 
avocado. Top with tortilla strips. (I serve those 
things in bowls for People to add themselves along 
with more cilantro and sour cream). I also use the 
large can of tomato puree which I think may be more 
than called for. 

Yum!

Since I brought the soup to potluck, I made sure to bring a bunch of yummy toppings. A large brick of cheddar, two avocados and some extra cilantro came with us and people were able to choose what type of toppings they wanted. I quickly learned that tortilla soup is really just a delicious vehicle for yummy add ons. I may have gone back for an extra chunk of cheese or some more crispy tortilla strips more than once.

Everyone enjoyed this soup, including the kids. The spice level was perfect, but I could see it also being tasty with just a bit more of a kick. I will most definitely be making this soup a few times this winter - it's the perfect way to warm up on a chilly night when you're looking for a little something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment