Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Banana Bread Bliss

It's raining.

It's supposed to rain all.week.long.

It's only Tuesday.

Sorry, just had to get that out there. While there is certainly something charming and delicious about Spring rain, when it decides to continue for a week, well...then I have some issues with it. However, since I can't change the weather, I make the best of it and...bake.

I always find that baking in inclement weather makes your treats taste extra yummy. Maybe it's because you can cozy up inside with a warmed baked good while the nasty weather takes place outside, I'm not sure. All I know is that yesterday was the perfect day for banana bread.

I'm not sure where I got my recipe from. It's one of those unfortunate ones that gets jotted down on a scrap of paper and stuffed in my recipe box, clearly put to good use based on the amount of smudges and stains. 

Just so you know what I'm working with:

Ingredients. And yes. That does say "neeners."

The recipe itself is really a basic banana bread recipe and quite simple even for the beginner baker.

Note the cooking time is up at the top.

While the kiddo mashed the neeners, I got the dry ingredients together.



I happened to have a handful of Godiva mini chips laying around, so I tossed those in as well.


It was still warm when we dug into it at potluck later that night. The rain seemed to keep most people away, as it was an intimate potluck of two families, but just as invigorating and enjoyable.  We also dined on garlic bread, a bean dish and a rice/lentil casserole. In all, the perfect rainy day meal.

Now excuse me while I go build an ark...

No comments:

Post a Comment