Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Spring Greenbeans

After a week of rainy days, we've finally managed to snag a few sun filled ones and I couldn't be happier. We decided to celebrate by hosting potluck and having it outdoors. The weather cooperated, giving us a sun filled afternoon that ended in a comfortably cool evening.

I wanted to make a bright green side dish, but when I was unable to find asparagus (a sure sign of spring!) at the market, I ended up grabbing a bunch of greenbeans. I knew I didn't want to mess with them too much, and ended up grabbing a few things from the pantry to create a light, flavorful and easy dish.

Most of the ingredients: beans, lemon, salt

While I cooked the green beans (4 minutes in boiling water...no more or you pretty much kill them) I roasted up some almonds in a skillet with a teaspoon of oil.

It was really hard not to eat them right then and there. Yum.

I chopped up the nuts once they were toasty brown and salted them. Once the beans were finished cooking I tossed them with the nuts, some lemon zest and a few hearty squeezes of fresh lemon juice. A bit of salt finished the dish.

 


Super easy, for sure, but still incredibly delicious. It also went well with the rest of the meal, which just screamed SPRING! 

Freshly made purple sauerkraut - still warm! - green salad, lentil/walnut/sweet potato burritos, chick peas & squash, and sticky rice

Our first outdoor potluck of the season wouldn't be complete without lighting up the fire pit, and of course, once that's going you must pull out the marshmallows.


The perfect way to end potluck.

No comments:

Post a Comment