Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Go To Grub

I have a stash of meals that I call my "go to's" and pull them out when I'm feeling food-lazy, uninspired or bored. The stash includes a favorite soup (tortilla!), pasta dish and paninis. However, lately I've found myself making variations on this dish, earning it a slot in my go-to list.

BBQ Tofu with sweet potatoes and a veg.

It meets all the requirements: easy, tasty and healthy.

BBQ Tofu
The BBQ tofu is pretty simple. I press a brick of tofu (we use a delicious brand made somewhat locally) for a 1/2 an hour before slicing it and marinating it in our favorite store bought BBQ sauce. Bake for 20 minutes at 350, flip the slices and bake another 20 minutes.

In the meantime, prep your sweet potatoes. Sometimes I'll cut them in shoe strings and we'll have oven fries, but the other night I sliced them thin with my mandolin and baked them for 5-10 minutes on each side at 450.


As for the veggie - I use whatever is in season or what I'm in the mood for. I had some string beans in the fridge, and steamed them with a touch of salt and lemon juice.



While it may take a while for everything to cook, there's very little hands on work, and the results are incredibly delicious for very little effort, and so far it seems nobody has minded that it's been showing up on their plates at least once a week around here!

(I know I missed a Monday Night post, but due to a weekend away and an icky cold, we sadly skipped out on potluck this week.)

No comments:

Post a Comment