Monday, October 4, 2010

Feeling Spicy...

Woke up to another grey, chilly Monday morning today. We decided to host potluck tonight, so I'm looking forward to the house warming up shortly as I make my dish for the evening.

I have no idea what anyone else is making yet, and in fact, have no idea who's even coming...it seems to be a slow moving morning for everyone.

I do know, however, that I will be attempting to make a chicken based jambalaya. This is definitely going to be a first, as not only have I never made jambalaya before...I've never eaten it either. My good friend Nicole, who hails from Shreveport, Louisiana, sent me some of her grandfather's cajun spices, including something to make jambalaya.

Nicole and I had been discussing regional favorites, and I had sent her a box of local apples to make a proper New England apple pie. In return, she told me all about growing up in Louisiana and eating tons of gumbo, jambalaya and other spicy cajun dishes. I told her I'd be willing to try one myself, and she insisted on sending me some of her grandfather's special spices.

I've assembled all the rest of the ingredients and am excited to see how it turns out. Based on my quick google search, it looks like it should be a tasty dish...


...but you never know what can happen in my kitchen! I'll be back later this week with pictures of my first attempt at Jambalaya as well as a run down of what else was at this week's potluck. Until then, let me know if you have any favorite "down-home" recipes to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment