Thursday, October 21, 2010

Potluck Babies

The other day I was busy in the kitchen, whipping up a shepherd's pie while catching up with a friend on the phone. As I finally layered the whipped potatoes on top of the savory beef filling, I explained to my friend that I had to get going, since I had to deliver this dish.


She asked me where I was going and I explained that potluck friends of ours recently had a baby, and I was bringing them dinner. My friend was surprised and commented on how sweet that was of me to do so. I explained to her that "I'm not doing anything extraordinary...this is just what we do."

When you intentionally create a community, you do so with the understanding that you'll be there to pick up the slack and help out when need be. In my mind, there's no greater need (or joyous occasion) then the birth of a new baby. Sure, making a meal and bringing it over also guaranteed me prime baby snuggling time, but I also had the responsibility of ensuring that the family was well nourished. 

Over the three years that we've been together, there have been four births and all have been celebrated and handled in the exact same way. Somebody steps up to the helm and creates a "meal train" - organizing everyone so that a fresh, home cooked meal is delivered to the family every couple of days for up to two months. 

As I made the shepherd's pie (and chocolate chip cookies!) I realized that I didn't have anything on hand for our evening meal, and perhaps I should have made two or thought ahead to plan something for us. My mind was clearly focused elsewhere, and I assumed a quick stop at the grocery store on the way home would suffice.

My son and I brought the food over (the second meal we've prepared for them) a little bit later and the moms all caught up while the older kids played. Eventually it was nearing dinner time, but before I could give the instructions on how to heat up the meal, we were invited to stay and enjoy dinner with them.

Of course we said yes...I mean, how could I say no to freshly made shepherd's pie and more baby cuddles? 

At some point in the evening I shared the earlier conversation I had and we all came to the conclusion that we're both proud and happy to be a part of this little community...one that steps up and helps out when needed. 

We're certainly not saints and have had our share of struggles and issues within the group. At the end of the day we're a close, cobbled together family and what family doesn't have issues? But...just like family, we're there for each other even if that just means sharing a home cooked meal.


*The recipe I used for the shepherd's pie was a variation on Alton Brown's recipe, substituting beef for the lamb amongst other slight changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment