Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Rain, Rain Go Away...

While I stockpile wood for the eventual ark I will be building, I've been coming up with other ways to beat the non-stop rain we've been having here in New England. Thankfully, this past Monday's potluck helped me forget that I haven't worn any other shoes besides my rain boots in a week, that my basement might be flooding, and that my hair isn't always this frizzy.

For a few hours I could focus on delicious food and fabulous friends - both things that warmed my house up, since we hosted. One thing I love about our weekly potlucks is the way that we're able to include people at a moment's notice. My friend Rachel happened to be in town with a friend of her own and I told her to swing on by. They were both welcomed with open arms and smiling faces.

As I mentioned before, I made jambalaya and I have a post coming later this week detailing that experience. The result was...well, it was an empty pot with mixed reactions. Most everyone loved the jambalaya, but apparently it was I who couldn't stand the heat. I loved the flavor of it, but the overpowering heat of the dish had me eating it with a slice of French bread in one hand and a glass of milk in the other.

The fact that nobody else's eyes were watering or nose was running is proof positive that I'm a wuss. It's as close to scientific proof as I'm going to get. Thankfully, there was a whole host of other delicious food that didn't scald my delicate tongue.
By the time I snapped a photo, most of the food had been eaten!

Katie made a delicious butternut squash and pear pie and promised me the recipe soon, and trust me - you're going to want to make it. The crust was crumbly, while the actual pie was silky smooth and not overly sweet (a failing of many squash pies in my opinion). The hint of roasted pear gave it that something extra special that had me going back for a second slice.

In addition to the pie, we had roasted broccoli, mashed sweet potatoes with leeks, noodles, a fabulous spinach salad (with pecans - which I've decided are my 2nd favorite nut) and ice cream for dessert.

The meal was super satisfying and even despite my weak palette, I enjoyed every last bite. I also enjoyed that as my friend Rachel left, she remarked that she now understood why I am always so excited for Monday nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment