Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Monday Night Menu...in Mothering!

Before I got this blog up and running I had actually been jotting down my thoughts, recipes and ideas regarding our Monday night dinners. One thing led to another and I ended up submitting an article pitch to Mothering, a parenting magazine that I thoroughly enjoy. 

Mothering tends to promote a 'natural parenting' lifestyle and I thought that an article on coming together as a community via potlucks was something that would fit in well. The editors seemed to agree and we worked together to fine tune what I submitted into what eventually ended up in the current issue of the magazine!

Eep! I'm right there on the cover on the bottom left!

You can find my article, "Food Makes a Family" in the November/December issue of the magazine. I wrote a brief description of the hows and whys of potlucking and followed it up with a bunch of recipes I've made often over the years. I definitely recommend picking up a copy to check out the recipes (some which I'm sure will end up on this blog at some point) and the fabulous food styling that took place.

While I can - and do! - make all of these recipes, I have to say that the kind folks from the Mothering test kitchen made them look more amazing than I ever could. They made all of the recipes I submitted and their talented food stylist snapped the shots. I'm working (slowly) on my photography skills, and flipping through their photos made me want to work even harder! 

I swear, my chicken never looks this good when I make it. Sure, it probably tastes just as fantastic, but doesn't the saying go that we eat with our eyes first?

Photo from Mothering Magazine
See? They even made a pretty apple flower to top Hannah's winter slaw recipe!

You can check out the rest of the recipes, as well as read the article in this month's issue of Mothering!

5 comments: