Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sometimes potluck means...

...getting a chance to clean out your fridge.

I know that might sound awful, but really - occasionally Monday rolls around and I have no clue what I'm going to make for potluck.

Nothing particular springs to mind, inspiration hasn't hit, and there are no imminent cravings that need to be satisfied. When this happens I go diving...

Diving deep into the fridge (and/or pantry) to see what's shaking. Sometimes I'll find a surprise, like a beautiful bunch of broccoli that is just days from wilting, demanding to be used up immediately. Other times I might come across my stash of rice or lentils and will be swayed into making some sort of casserole.

Despite the fact that it's Sunday, and there is one more day until potluck, I'm feeling like I'm in one of those "food funks," - unsure of what I want to make. This could be because I'm coming off of a week of sickness - a stomach bug hit me midweek and I followed it up with an especially painful sinus cold. While I've been feeling healthy for a couple of days now, my desire to eat is only slowly returning.

And so, I used today to search through the fridge and pantry, in hopes of being hit with a bolt of foodspiration. Unfortunately, the only thing I found was a block of delicious (and locally made!) tofu.

Not aforementioned delicious tofu, but happy tofu, nonetheless. 

So now the question becomes "what do I make with this...?" I have a few ideas up my sleeve, but am always eager to hear more! Anyone have a favorite tofu recipe to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment