Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Potluck Perfection


Monday's potluck was one of those nights where everything just comes together perfectly in the end. It had been a relatively quiet Monday, with nobody emailing offering to host until midway through the day. I was starting to get a little nervous, hoping we wouldn't be putting off potluck this week.

Thankfully, a house was offered up and families responded. I love the easy going nature of our particular group, but the will we/won't we (have potluck) aspect that occasionally creep up can make me antsy - I need my weekly dose of potluck!

With my half-baked macaroni and cheese in tow, I walked the few short blocks to our friends' house to help organize a bit before the rest of the crew showed up. Our kids played "baby" (the baby was in fact a stuffed dog who went through a minimum of three name changes) while we straightened up and the macaroni cooked.

The house already smelled fantastic, from a crock pot full of chicken mole. Soon, two other families trickled in, bringing with them roasted brussel sprouts, chicken soup with rice, applesauce and popcorn balls.


With no forethought and little planning, this potluck was pretty close to a perfect fall meal. We had warm, soul-satisfying food, seasonal treats and deliciously homemade desserts.

 The kids all played wonderfully together with minimal issues while the adults were able to sit around and catch up, even digging into the popcorn balls before the kids caught wind that dessert had been started.


2 comments:

  1. Any chance I could get that chicken mole recipe? I'm on the hunt for chicken crockpot recipes and I adore mole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, just saw this! Will ask Hannah and get back to you :)

    ReplyDelete