Monday, November 1, 2010

Sort of Spicy


It's no secret that when it comes to spice, I usually run the other way. I always push away the wasabi for fear that it will touch my sushi, pass on the hot sauce when it comes to tacos, and spent the night partially in tears when I made my own jambalaya.

It's a shame, really...I want to enjoy hot, spicy dishes. There are an array of flavorful spices that will just pass me by because of my delicate palette. One would think that I would be heavy handed with the spice, having grown up with a father that had what seemed like a lead tongue - for him, the spicier the better! The spice gene must have skipped me, however.

But...I do try, and today's potluck dish is one of those attempts. I'm not going crazy, but I did decide to make a pepper jack baked macaroni and cheese. I had some leftover pepper jack cheese that I had gotten for quesadillas last week, and wanted to figure out a way to use it up.



Pairing it with my usually creamy (yet, admittedly bland) mac & cheese seemed like the perfect solution.

I don't use an actual recipe...it's more a cobbled together guide (from many other recipes).

- 1 lb pasta of your choice I used whole wheat elbow macaroni
 - a bunch of shredded pepper jack & cheddar cheese See what I mean by "not an actual recipe?" I usually shred a good amount...maybe 2 cups worth? maybe 3? Depends how cheesy I'm feeling
- 2.5 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons butter 
- 3.5 tablespoons flour 
- breadcrumbs*
- salt & pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cook pasta according to directions on package. While the pasta is cooking, in a small saucepan heat up milk (if I'm using regular cheddar, I'll usually toss in a few bay leaves with the milk). Heat over low heat until bubbles form around the edges of the pan, and then remove from stove.
In another, slightly larger saucepan, melt butter over medium until foamy. Add flour and whisk quickly, cooking until the mixture browns. Add a bit of the milk, stirring the entire time. Then, add the rest of the milk slowly, while continually stirring.
Once the mixture is thick and smooth, shut off the heat and stir in the shredded cheese and salt and pepper. Mix well and then add to pasta. Toss together well before placing in a greased baking pan. Top with breadcrumbs and bake for twenty minutes or until breadcrumbs are nice and brown.
*re: breadcrumbs. I happened to have a piece of sourdough bread left over from last night's dinner and decided to make my own breadcrumbs. It went from this:
 to this:


I'll admit to sneaking one or two cheese covered noodles, just to taste test. I have to say - this combination of creamy spice is perfect...not bland at all, and with just enough bite that it doesn't leave me running for a glass of water. We'll see what the others think.

Instead of getting a picture of a steaming hot, perfectly cooked mac & cheese, you get the pre-baked version:

I'll be finishing this one up at the house of the family who's hosting. I promised I'd come over early to help them clean up a little (all in the name of community...and spending time with a good friend). I'll report back later this week with what the rest of the crew brought.

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment